Advanced Optometry, 113 Wickham Tce Brisbane City Qld 4000
OptometrY & Advanced contact lenses
SLOW THE PROGRESSION
The scientific community's understanding of short-sightedness (myopia) has changed. Myopia used to be thought of as a condition which was unable to be influenced however we now know that with intervention we can significantly reduce the rate in which is progresses.
The most common form of myopia occurs when the eye grows too long for its optical system comprising of the eye's cornea, lens and internal fluids. A fraction of a millimeter in excessive length can create a substantial amount of myopic blur.
"Myopia control" is the process in which we use specialised contact lenses to make things clearer, but more importantly create a very different peripheral image which in turn tells the brain that the eye has reached its full size, hence slowing or in some cases halting the rate of further elongation.
There are three main forms of optical myopia control and one pharmaceutical form using an eyedrop known as Atropine. The three main optical forms are the Carl Zeiss Myolens TM spectacle lens, orthokeratology contact lenses and a concentric ring multifocal soft contact lenses known as Coopervision MiSight TM
视觉近视控制有三种主要形式，及一种称之为“阿托品”眼药水的药物形式。三个主要的视觉形式是Carl Zeiss Myolens TM隐形眼镜，角膜塑形隐形眼镜和同心环状多焦点软性隐形眼镜，号称Coopervision MiSight TM
Studies show that orthokeratology contact lenses and MiSight TM lenses have the highest ability to reduce the rate of myopia with the lowest rate of rebound effect on cessation out of the available options.
Myopia control is an extremely important aspect of eye care in that patients who are highly myopic not only are more reliant on their visual devices for correction, but they also carry increased risks of retinal detachment, glaucoma and myopic retinal degeneration. All of these conditions are potentially blinding.
David Foresto has extensive experience in fitting orthokeratology contact lenses and are one of the few practices in Australia with access to Coopervision MiSight TM contact lenses.
David Foresto在装配角膜塑形隐形眼镜中有着丰富的经验，而且是澳大利亚仅有几位可获取Coopervision MiSight TM隐形眼镜的执牌人之一。
More information on orthokeratology is here
More information on MiSight is here (English) or here (Chinese)
1.Walline JJ, Lindsley K, Vedula SS, et al. Interventions to slow progression of myopia in children. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2011 Dec 7;(12):CD004916.
2. Chua WH, Balakrishnan V, Chan YH, et al. Atropine for the treatment of childhood myopia. Ophthamology. 2006 Dec;113(12):2285-91.
3. Cho P, Cheung SW, Edwards M. The longitudinal orthokeratology research in children (LORIC) in Hong Kong: a pilot study on refractive changes and myopic control. Curr Eye Res. 2005 Jan;30(1):71-80.
4. Walline JJ, Jones LA, Sinnott LT. Corneal reshaping and myopia progression. Br J Ophthalmol. 2009 Sep;93:1181-5.
5. Chung K, Mohindin N, O’Leary DJ. Undercorrection of myopia enhances rather than inhibits myopia progression. Vision Res 2002 Oct;42(22):2555-9.
6. Wick RE. The use of bifocals in myopia; a case report. Am J Optom Arch Am Acad Optom. 1947 Aug;24(8):368-71.
7. Walline JJ, Jones LA, Sinnott L, et al. A randomized trial of the effect of soft contact lenses on myopia progression in children. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2008 Nov;49(11):4702-6.
8. Anstice NS, Phillips JR. Effect of dual-focus soft contact lens wear on axial myopia progression in children. Ophthalmology. 2011 Jun;118(6):1152-61
Advanced Contact Lenses
C/- Advanced Optometry
113 Wickham Tce
Brisbane Q 4000
P. (07) 3831 2900
David Foresto © 2021